Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Day I Ran Away From Home

When I was three years old, I always liked to go with my mom to the gas station down the street because 1.) I loved going on walks, and 2.) if I was good, my mom got me candy. So, one day, I was in my mom and dad's room and I feel asleep watching Muppet Babies on TV, and then I heard the door close, and I popped up and ran to the window and saw my mom walking to the gas station alone. How dare she!

I started crying, but after about two minutes, it dawned on me that nobody was going to hear me. I don't remember where my dad was, and my mom was at the store, so it made no sense to make a puddle on the floor. I decided, then, to take matters into my own hands. If my mom wasn't going to take me to the gas station, I was going to go anyway. So, I opened up the front door and stepped out into the front yard (something that was strictly forbidden!) and I bravely headed onward down the street.

I must have felt like Queen Elizabeth or something, because while I was walking down the road, I was giving the Queen Elizabeth wave to everybody I saw. And they were giving it back to me, so I thought that the world was all friendly. I came across a yard with a bunch of big kids running around and I got really scared and jumped behind a bush that was crawling with lady bugs. A girl (I think she might have been about 8 or 9) saw me and said, "Hey- there's a little kid in the bushes!!!" Suddenly, my little heart stopped dead in my chest. I stopped breathing, hoping that those monsters would go away. I wanted to run, but fear set in and I couldn't move. The girl went inside and got her mom and brought her outside, and she scooped me up before I could make a getaway and brought me into her house and gave me some water. She tried to get me to eat something (I don't remember what it was, but I don't think I would have liked it anyway), but I was too scared to eat. A police man came to the door and the lady picked me up and handed me over to him, and he put me in his car and told me that it was bad to runaway from home. I actually liked the policeman. He was cool. He pulled up my driveway and asked, "Now, is this your house?" I said yes, so he stopped the car, picked me up (I'm not sure why those grownups wouldn't let me walk- it was like they thought I was going to run away from them), knocked on the door, and when my mom answered, he asked, "Is this yours?" My mom was crying and laughing at the same time. I didn't know what was going on, but from that day foward, I stuck to the nice, safe, fenced in backyard- atleast until I turned 5:)

No comments: